Monday, June 02, 2008

Strawberry Time

We decided to make our annual strawberry jam again this year, but thankfully Brett was able to come with us this time.

Our first time picking was two years ago when Maya was about 5 months old. She and I went by ourselves and she did pretty well for the first hour but then started to get fussy. I took a break to feed her in the car and then frantically picked for the next hour, while popping her passie back in every few minutes.

Last year she was 18 months old, able to walk, but not able to be much help and I was pregnant and just getting into the morning sickness phase. On the way to the berry patch (we went to a different one than the year before because it was the only one we could find that wasn't devastated by a late frost) I got lost and ended up taking an extra hour to get there. By that time Maya was getting a little tired, but I figured that since I had come all that way I didn't want to just turn back home empty handed. So, I strapped Maya into her stroller and hauled her down the rows as I picked. She got tired of that after a while so I let her out and tried to show her how to pick the berries. Pretty soon she was covered in berry juice and mud and we had a whole bucked full of green strawberries. But we made our jam and loved it.

This year we decided to do things a little differently. We took Brett along with us!! We all had a great time and it was so nice not to be there by myself with both kids. Maya loved looking for the "big plumpy ones" and Brett kept Mason strapped to him in the baby bjorn. I was free to pick on my own and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. It is always so much more fun when we are all together and Brett has such a great way of making things fun. This will definitely be a whole family event from now on.






1 comment:

Eric & Laura said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I wonder if they have fields here we can pick from? Mason and Maya are getting so big!